Advancing professional fundraising
Fundraising Institute Australia advances philanthropy through encouraging and supporting people and organisations to ethically practise excellence in fundraising
The Coalition’s approach to the charitable sector
26 June 2012The Hon. Kevin Andrews MP, has given a major policy address about the Coalition's approach to the charitable sector.
This speech followed a series of speeches by the Leader of the Opposition, Tony Abbott, over the past few months which have outlined the direction a Liberal National Party government would take in a number of important areas, including developing stronger communities. In his recent fifth address, Mr Abbott placed these initiatives in the context of working for the benefit of the Australian people.
Mr Andrews’ speech expanded on the theme of Mr Abbott’s policy directions, particularly in the relationship between government and the institutions of civil society.
Under the Coalition, an independent charities commission will be established that will:
- Provide education and support services to registered charities;
- Provide information to assist with the process of registration for new charities and not-for-profit agencies;
- Act as a ‘one-stop shop’ for information on charitable organisations and agencies operating within Australia;
- Advocate for the rights of charities and not-for-profit agencies;
- Represent the interests of charities and not-for-profit agencies to government;
- Help facilitate the interaction between government and the charitable and not-for-profit sector;
- Undertake research and cross-sector evaluations on issues of concern to the sector;
- Help foster innovation within the sector.
Mr Andrews’ full speech can be found here.